Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Difference between a Stumbling Block and a Stepping Stone

I chose this title today based on a footer of an email I read today. It just reminds me of the week in class. Again I will try to be concise today.

The assignment for the week was titled "Journey". Using a movie or television show, we were to compare our life story to a leader from a more widely known story. This assignment meant just as much as the passionography assignment, because it required me to reflect on a work that someone else has done. Additionally, we were required to talk with our group about our journey and listen to feedback. This was a great bonding experience for the team, as we found how closely our stories are related. The nicest feeling for me came when I had a heartfelt conversation with Matt from my group about his vulnerability. I've seen him changing in the last weeks, but more so on Sunday. He completely changed his story after we all talked to him. I won't get into the personal side as they will tell their story where it is appropriate. Matt did tell me that I can expect a more opened up Matt in the future. I think he is now "All In". Previously, I would have told you he was "Reserved".

In class, we took a look back at all of our readings from the semester and were challenged with a question to discuss about how we lead with our faith, values, and ethics. The main thought I had about that was that we need to extend grace. I say this, because I am seeing God more as a leader in my life and he is most successful getting through to me by his grace. Undeserved, by nature of the term, and I feel so so enabled as a result. I see that grace may be the answer to some personnel issues I have seen at work that get me so angry. I'm not perfect, so it will surely need refining. Humans are not naturally inclined to extend grace (except for our children, makes sense to me).

Economics actually had a similar feeling to me last night, because we were asked to critique a paper and were offered a chance to respond to a critique from another group. I think I speak for the whole class when I say that it is more difficult to receive criticism (even if positive) from our peers than from our teacher. When I read the critique given to our group, I was discouraged and felt that the criticism wasn't done in a positive manner. I had to turn the thought in my head and put it in perspective. The group that critiqued our paper was, in effect, required to critique our paper. This causes a tension in their mind that forces them to try to prove they are worthy of a good grade, but also try to respect the team. This wrestling in the mind is actually a value and a desired output of the MBA program. I know that Team II was professional in their presentation, and I respected their thoughts. Team III appeared calm when dealing with our critique, but one student appeared very defensive in my opinion. This is to be expected and I don't see that as a fault. It may be a learning opportunity. This is why the stepping stone can appear as a stumbling block sometimes.

Most of you reading this know that I am very vocal and am rarely quiet, especially if I am critiqued. However, I intentionally held my tongue the entire evening. I am taking the feedback I have heard and attempting to listen instead of just waiting for my turn to speak.

Last thought, I allowed my team to show their expertise in the critique and response this week, and only opened up and closed the presentation this week. I wanted to show the other team that we were really concerned that the critique may not have been received as friendly. I am babbling here, but I thought the only real criticism we had was that they tried to cover so much. I mean they tried to show all aspects of the Texas Public School System. What a daunting task. I would have asked that they didn't take the critique so personally.

I'm out of stuff to say, but I leave this blog frustrated, because I feel like I am missing something important about the week. I'll update if I think of something. 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying the journey David. Looking forward to our team's studying together for the Econ final.

    You were noticeably gracious and reserved in your presentations this week. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still enjoying the journey! The critique was a very intresting assignment for us as well. Good insights from the other teams that have helped us improve our writing, research and presentations.

    ReplyDelete