Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Next Rest Area 15 weeks

One semester down, how do I reflect appropriately on one semester of awesome? I could have titled my blog with a recognition of how far we (as a cohort) have come, but I thought I would look to the future instead. Why? I don't want to get caught up in the accomplishment of 1/6 of the way done any longer than I did on Monday.

After the test in Econ, a third of the class went to the cafeteria for a free breakfast, I think it was a called something like midnight cram session (umm, yeah I know it was from 9pm-11pm but that's ok). What I found awesome about the buffet was that the Provost Alan Runge was there serving food to students. This school has amazing values. That is servant leadership - every job is equally important, and the leaders are willing to do any job that needs to be done. Concordia, the students heard you loud and clear. That was awesome.

That evening, I got hung up with my pride again. I felt like I deserved a break, and kind of checked out all of Tuesday evening. That was a real problem, because I still had a Manifesto paper due, even though the class sessions are complete. Take note future cohorts - the Manifesto is not as easy as it leads you to believe. My paper felt forced and I still am wrestling with final edits because it can be hard to make a declaration about what you stand for when you are still learning about yourself. I think I should have waited to celebrate until that was complete. I need more patience.

I also have another hint for Cohort 3 - Consider being an overachiever and doing the Strengths Finder test before you start the program. If you understand your team's strengths you will get a 10 week head start. Also, do not wait a minute to start your econ and marketing projects. They will likely be due around the same time and you will panic. Start brainstorming as fast as possible and aim to have a rough draft three weeks before it is due if possible. That is my $0.02.

Final thoughts on Econ class:
  Started out really exciting because of the math. The last 5 weeks were not as enjoyable, but that might be due to the level of thought I started to put into Leadership.

Final thoughts on Leadership:
  Unfortunately, Cohort 3 will not get to have Dr. Ford teach the leadership course, but I am certain that Dean Christian will find a suitable successor. Dr. Ford had gained my respect very early on in the program and she encouraged me to dig very deep into my thoughts about leadership. Thank you Dr. Ford for the life changing experience.

Today has been a struggle trying to get the words out to express my leadership manifesto. All that and working from home today has been intense.

No time to slow down, the next rest stop is quite a ways away. We can do it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Sometimes it is nice to celebrate. I agree for the .02 for Cohort 3- get the strength finder done early.

    ReplyDelete