Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Deep End of the Pool

I'll keep it short today, I hope.

I don't really want to talk about what happened in class this week (John Griffin probably wrote about how class went, if you are interested). We turned in our Passionographies this week and I was so thankful to get such diverse feedback. Thanks to those that helped with this project.

On Monday, I had a great conversation with a classmate and it left me pondering my behavior over the last two days. I think I have resolved the issue in my mind, but really it came down to my attitude. I probably appeared a little cocky in this program when I spoke up about being challenged on our first econ test. I came off as abrasive, but I was actually stating my desire to be challenged, and the fact that I want this to be the best Master's program. I can't single-handedly change the prestige of the program, but I was trying to ask my peers to step up to the challenge.

I named this post "Deep End of the Pool", because today I totally engaged myself in the experience of growing with a classmate. John Griffin and I met for lunch today, and we pretty much could have held the table until dinner as well. We talked for three hours over a nice Thai cuisine lunch. Thanks again John. I honestly feel I am in the deep end where life isn't easy because you can always "touch". I like the freedom of this deep end. John and I were able to roll out our stories and peel back the outer shell to see what we are truly made of. My consensus was that we are alike in many ways, and its probably evident by how similar our posts are. We both agreed to the rule that we don't read any Concordia blogs from the week until we write our own. That's how it has been in the past any way, but there is a running joke about John and I getting to the same stuff each week. I look forward to more of these meetings with my cohort. In fact I have scheduled a lunch with Travis next week already. By the way, Travis and I both like to talk, I imagine that lunch could be just as long as today, but I love that. I wouldn't go to lunch if I didn't want to do this.

By the way, I feel like I have done a better job of listening lately. Reflection and Listening are two areas I was aiming to improve on, and I feel like the growth has been happening.

See ya next week, hopefully I'll be able to focus on the class discussions.

1 comment:

  1. LOL....very good post! You were definitely great at listening today -I came in with the goal of making you talk the most and somehow that didn't happen. Great time.

    ReplyDelete