Friday, February 18, 2011

Acknowledgment of God's Gifts

Today I don't want to focus on me, but I will start with a back story. Instead, I need to acknowledge one of the special people in my life. I lean on my wife heavily now that I am in school, but today I need to tell you about my precious daughter.

Last night was very rough for me. I began working on my weekly assignment of summarizing four chapters from a text that I personally am not impressed by. It was about midnight, and I decided to email the professor to let him know that I would have rather been given questions to answer than summarize my reading. There was no reflection in my opinion. Ironically, I hadn't checked all of my email accounts which would have let me know that the assignment was canceled, and we were to talk about the text in the classroom. So, I then retracted my original email and looked a little foolish. Checking the scorecard, it is midnight and I have not done any work that is due. I guess I was just warming up to do real work. I then stayed up until 2 working on laying out my research paper. Our professor stated that we should be wrapping up our papers right about now. Oops, I finally put a pen to the scratchpad last night. I ended up with a nice brainstorming effort.

That sounds typical for studying, but the kicker is that I have my alarm set for 5am so that I can go to ACE (Austin Christian Executives), which may be the source of my motivation to go back to school. I have missed a few weeks and I wanted to check back in with the group. I functioned at an average level of performance today.

As promised, here is the awesome story about my daughter. I picked Riley up around 6 tonight, and told her that I was really tired so I needed her help tonight. Whitney had plans to go out with her family and uncle, so Riley was going to need to help me out tonight. I told her that I really needed some sleep, so she recommended we pick up dinner and eat at home so that I could get to sleep faster. She is so thoughtful. I told Riley that she had to be a big girl and she needed to take care of her night time routine and go to sleep at the correct time. So, we ate dinner quickly and then I went upstairs to set up a video game that she was allowed to play until bedtime. I set an alarm on her cell phone. She knew what to do and when to do. She was so obedient. I did end up getting up to tuck her into bed, but I was so proud of her. I don't think I do much justice to the story as I still am operating on three hours of sleep plus 2 hours that Riley let me nap. I woke up because I wanted to see my wife before bed, and I thought a blog update might be nice.

I left out one detail, my daughter is only six years old, and she makes these responsible decisions all the time. She has a caring heart, considering the small neck massage she gave me while we waited for our order at Church's chicken. She likes that place because it has the word Church in it, how adorable. This child makes the decision to have more kids so incredibly simple to make. Thank you God for the gift of a beautiful, loving, responsible daughter. I love your perfectly designed plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment